At The BLVD we believe our jobs are a calling. We are passionate about using our talents for God’s purposes and that’s why we’ve dedicated our careers to a ministry, not just a job title. We are risk-taking, irrationally generous spiritual contributors who bring our best, laugh hard, and honor God with integrity. Our life and our work are centered around one thing: leading people to become fully devoted followers of Christ.
When you join The Blvd team, our prayer is that your family will be closer, your leadership will be sharper, your finances will be stronger, your faith will be deeper, and your heart will be larger. We strongly believe the biggest perk to working at The Blvd is doing work that makes an eternal difference.
MISSISSIPPI BOULEVARD CHRISTIAN CHURCH CHILDREN’S DIRECTOR JOB POSTING
ABOUT MISSISSIPPI BOULEVARD CHRISTIAN CHURCH
Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church, lovingly known as "The BLVD", is the first African American church in the city of Memphis under the doctrine of the Disciples of Christ (DOC). With a congregation of approximately 4000, the church has eighty dedicated mission driven staff members focused on serving God's kingdom. MBCC is an equal opportunity employer.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Blvd is seeking a creative and dynamic leader to be its next Children’s Director/Pastor. Reporting directly to the Director of Ministries, the Children’s Ministry Director will be responsible for developing, coordinating, administering, and leading a comprehensive program for children ages 12 and under and their families. Working with a team of volunteers, and in coordination with church staff, s/he will be leading an educational ministry that provides understanding and connection to our faith foundations while encouraging spiritual growth.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Plan, organize, and implement a fun and creative Christian education program for children (12 and under) including but not limited to nursery, Sunday School, Children’s Church, Children and Youth Sundays, Christmas and Easter programs and celebrations, Springfest/Fall fest, and Vacation Bible School.
2. Oversee the selection, development, delivery, and distribution of all appropriate curriculum and resources.
3. In partnership with volunteers and staff, seek to provide resources and support to meet the unique needs of parents and families through take-home family discipleship resources and seasonal programmatic offerings.
4. Recruit, train, and supervise adult volunteers and church staff to assist in the children’s program as chaperones, teachers, small group leaders, mentors, and in any other capacity as needed.
5. Maintain open and direct lines of communication with staff, volunteers, and families—providing venues for constructive feedback, maintaining confidentiality with integrity, and resolving conflict in a manner that fosters trust and confidence in the children’s ministry and its staff.
6. Facilitate background checks and volunteer orientation/training in accordance with the state and local laws and church policies.
7. Provide for the other administrative needs of the children’s ministry, including (but not limited to): maintaining the ministry events calendar; setting and tracking a budget for programs and events; compiling forms, attendance rosters, and volunteer schedules; maintaining a database of families and volunteers; attending regular staff meetings; assisting with timely follow-up to new visiting and absentee families; and working with volunteers and staff to ensure the safety and cleanliness of shared facilities.
8. Assist in monitoring and evaluating the children’s ministry team and its effectiveness in ministering to children in our church and community.
Education: 4 Year College Degree from an accredited college or University in Education or a Related Field. Master’s degree preferred.
1. 2-4 years working with children in a church context.
2. Previous experience in education, student ministry, and leadership is optimal.
3. Must possess a passion for people and children’s ministry.
4. Possess effective leadership and equipping skills.
5. Must be spiritually mature.
6. Excellent computer skills/organization and planning skills.
7. Must have a heart for God and for serving God’s people.
8. All candidates must submit to and pass a multi-state background check.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Incumbent works in a fast-paced and loud environment with multiple interruption. Incumbent will be required to balance daily responsibilities, while maintaining high levels of stress tolerance and concentration.
DIRECT REPORTS: This position supervises staff and volunteers in the children’s department.
Interested candidates should email their resumes to the Human Resources Director, Chantay Branch at email@example.com
About the Next Gen Pastor at The Blvd:
The Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church, Disciples of Christ is looking for a full-time Next Gen Pastor to build young disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to our youth and young adults ministries (in the areas of worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach) while serving as a spiritual leader and role model. We are transforming the lives of the next generation and the Next Gen Pastor will be the key influencer and champion of that goal. This role will be community-focused, as the Next Gen Pastor’s work will center around building relationships within the church, parents, schools, and the community.
The Next Gen Pastor’s Responsibilities Include:
• Building relationships with high school students, parents, volunteers, and local schools.
• Having a high level of communication with parents, volunteers, and staff.
• Coming alongside the overall vision of The Blvd to mobilize “the 99 to reach the 1” (Luke 15: 3-7). With this philosophy of ministry, the desire is to double the student ministry over the next 2-5 years.
• Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills.
• Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
• Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and young adult ministries.
• Coordinate curriculum for youth (grades 9-12) and young adults, recruit teachers, and develop a strategic ministry outreach plan in partnership with the Minister of Discipleship and Outreach.
• Planning, organizing, and executing midweek programming, Sunday mornings, and annual events for youth and young adults.
• Spearheading and chairing the committee for our annual Scholarship fund initiative and event.
• Leading our Young Adult Ministry and championing their participation in all aspects of The Blvd.
What You Bring:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Next Gen Pastor:
Education & Experience
• A bachelor’s degree from an accredited seminary is preferable.
• 3+ years of applicable ministry experience in youth/young adult ministry.
• Must demonstrate the proven ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
• Familiarity with the Disciples Of Christ denomination is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills.
• Plan and execute weekly services geared toward high school and college students.
• Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a youth and young adult ministry within the parameters of the Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church.
• Spiritual giftings in evangelism, leadership, and administration are a plus.
Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
• Committed follower of Christ
• Takes opportunities for change and builds for the future
• Passionate about bringing people up in faith and coming alongside them in ministry
• Maturity and ability to relate to parents well
• Strong rapport with teens
Interested candidates should email their resumes to the Human Resources Director, Chantay Branch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The BLVD is in search of Nursery Assistants who will work under the supervision of the Nursery Coordinator in creating an efficient, clean, and safe nursery with a loving atmosphere in which babies and children can grow and begin to learn of the love of God.
1. Create and maintain a clean and safe environment for all children.
2. Ensure the personal needs of children are being met which includes feeding and changing diapers and/or assisting with restroom breaks.
3. Monitor and notify the Nursery Coordinator of any supplies needed.
4. Report any concerns regarding a child’s behavior and/or emotional state to the Children’s Ministry Director and must be available for parent or volunteer questions.
5. May be required to rotate between the Midtown and Southwind campuses as needed. Participates in training as arranged by the Children’s Ministry Director.
• High School graduate/equivalent.
• Successful candidate should have the ability to multi-task and work independently in carrying out assignments to completion.
• Must have excellent communication/customer service skills and should be able to interface with children, parents, volunteer team, and the BLVD staff.
• Must complete child protective services and criminal background checks. Must be certified in CPR.
Applicants may submit their resumes to the Human Resources Director at email@example.com.
The BLVD is in search of a Nursery Coordinator whose primary role is to provide a safe and nurturing environment for children (infants through Preschool (5 years old)), facilitate ageappropriate opportunities for spiritual formation within the nursery, and coordinate schedules for nursery workers for all church activities.
1. Work with the Children’s Ministry Director to assure the smooth functioning and operation of the Nursery program. Develop good trusting relationships with all children, parents, and other nursery staff.
2. Provide a learning experience for infants and toddlers during Sunday worship under the direction of Children’s Ministry Director. Assist with the preparation of monthly curriculum and purchase supplies as needed for curriculum.
3. Maintain a clean, well-organized, and welcoming nursery including weekly maintenance of washing and sterilizing toys, furniture, and flooring, and monitoring and ordering supplies.
4. Supervise all nursery staff including volunteers and will ensure the nursery is adequately staffed on Sunday mornings and during other events.
5. Recruit and train staff and volunteers on nursery policies and procedures, safety, and curriculum. Ensure that all policies, procedures, safety measures, and curriculum are being carried out on a weekly basis.
6. Must be available to assist in nursery coverage during staff shortage.
• Associates Degree in early childhood development or related field.
• Must have three years of experience working in a classroom or Nursery environment.
• Experience in caring for children between the ages of 0 to 5 with the ability to adapt and interact with a variety of personalities.
• Must complete child protective services and criminal background checks.
• Must be certified in CPR.
Applicants may submit their resumes to the Human Resources Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.